The crunch of the batter and the softness of the Tofoo make up a dream team. Serve with creamy peas and chips for a great weekend dinner. Wrap it up in old newspaper for an authentic chippie experience.
For the Tofish:
- 1 x 250g Naked Tofoo, drained, cut into 4 slabs and dried
- 1 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp dried seaweed, crumbled (optional)
- 100ml vegan ale
- Oil, for deep frying
For the peas:
- 300g frozen peas
- 3 tbsp vegan crème fraiche
For the chips:
- 800g potatoes such as King Edward
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chips. Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the cut potato for 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and dry really well with kitchen paper. Toss in 4 tbsp olive oil. Spread out onto a non-stick baking tray and cook in the oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
- While the chips are cooking, cook the peas in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain well and tip into a food processor with the crème fraiche, then blitz until well combined. You could also mash it all together with a fork. Return to the pan and heat gently just before serving.
- Pat the Tofoo once more until very dry. Dust with the seasoned plain flour.
- Mix together the self-raising flour and seaweed then slowly whisk in the ale.
- Whisk until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Heat about 8cm oil in a pan to 180°C If you do not have a thermometer, add a square of bread to the oil. When it sizzles the oil is ready. Take a piece of Tofoo and dip in the batter to coat evenly, then carefully lower into the hot fat and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until golden and crispy. Repeat with the other 3 pieces.
- Serve the battered Tofish with chips and a spoonful of peas. Don’t forget the lemon wedge for a squeeze of sharpness.
Why not try:
- Cutting the Tofoo into fingers to make crispy goujons
- Adding fresh mint to the peas
Recipe by The Tofoo Co.