No birthday party would be complete without a chocolate cake, right? Relax, we have you covered.
- 2 cups (264g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (320g) white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup (180g) vegan margarine (softened)
- 1/2 cup (122g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (90g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240g) vegan margarine (softened)
- 3 cups (396g) sifted icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp soy milk
- Red vegan food colouring
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 9” round cake pans.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder together and set aside.
- Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the applesauce and vanilla and mix well. Slowly mix in the flour, alternating with the soy milk. Continue to mix until well combined.
- Pour an equal amount of batter into the 2 cake pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes and then gently invert them onto wire cooling racks.
- To make the icing, beat margarine for about 30 seconds. Continue beating, adding the icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Beat on low speed till smooth. Add the vanilla, soy milk and food colouring and beat again.
- Ice when the cakes are completely cool.
Note: Put a piece of parchment paper on the wire rack before placing the cakes on the rack.
Recipe by Claire Gosse, author of the vegan cookbook series Are You Sure That's Vegan? Claire also runs VeganCooking.com