Even if it's a bit chilly outside, you enjoy the perfect scent of summer as you grate the lemon zest for this cake - your kitchen will smell gorgeous for days.
- 250g vegan margarine
- 200g sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 30g soya flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 200ml warm water including juice of 2 lemons
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 150g plain flour
- 100g corn flour
- 15g baking powder
- 50g ground almonds
- 150g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees, line a 30cm cake loaf tin and lightly grease.
- Place vegan margarine, sugar and vanilla sugar, soya flour, lemon zest and xanthan gum into a mixing bowl. Combine on low speed.
- Top up the lemon juice with warm water to 200ml in total. Let liquid drizzle into mixture beating on medium speed for 3-4 minutes until creamy.
- Sift flour, corn flour and baking powder and fold under mixture with a spatula.
- Fill with loaf tin cake mixture and bake for 65-70 minutes.
Mix the icing sugar with zest and lemon juice. Spread over cake.
Recipe from Günter Eberwein's The Passionate Way of Vegan Baking ebook.
Picture by @Ruth_Katharine.