You defnitely don't need 'carne' to make a great chilli. Try this served with rice and a generous dollop of vegan sour cream and guacamole, or use it to stuff tacos. Serves 3-4.
- 4 oz (115g) green lentils
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder, or more to taste
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the lentils separately for 10 minutes and drain.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions, carrots and garlic for a few minutes. Add the peppers and mushrooms to the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the yeast extract, and enough water to cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes on a low heat, stirring occasionally. Add water if necessary.
- Add yeast extract, salt and pepper to taste.