Just like granny used to make! This is lovely spread on toast, of course, but also makes a great filling for a sponge cake. Afternoon tea anyone?
- Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon - 3 tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 3 oz (85g) white caster sugar
- 2 1/2 oz (70g) vegan margarine
- Dissolve cornflour in a little juice.
- Put rest of ingredients into a saucepan and heat until sugar has dissolved. Gradually add this mixture to the cornflour mix, stirring well.
- Return all to the pan and boil until mixture coats the back of a spoon - not more than 1 minute. Put into a warmed jar and cover with greaseproof paper until cold.
- Replace greaseproof with lid and store in fridge.
Keeps well for over 3 weeks in fridge.
Since you're here...
Join us as a member and support the vegan movement from just £2 a month. Since 1944, our members have been integral to supporting us as we spread the vegan message, help vulnerable vegans in need and work with institutions and governments to turn the world vegan. As a reward, you'll receive over 100 vegan-friendly discounts, The Vegan quarterly magazine, podcast extra, access to a vegan dietitian and a community of vegans and much more.