An amazing dish, full of different flavours. Serves 2.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- Sea salt
- 10 mini aubergine, halved, OR 2 large aubergine, cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch saffron
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white wine
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1 tsp stock powder
- 2 small preserved lemons, flesh removed, finely chopped
- 5/8 cup (120g) black olives, such as kalamata or couchillo, cut in half
- 4 whole sprigs of thyme
- Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a large pan until they are fragrant and darkening. Put them into a pestle and mortar, grind, then remove and put on a plate
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions. Fry on a medium to high heat then put on the lid to sweat the onions. Grind the garlic and a sprinkle of sea salt in the pestle and mortar
- The onions should be browning. Give them a stir, and add a little water if they are sticking. Add the garlic and fry for 5 minutes, adding a splash of water if needed
- Add the aubergine, spices and wine. Allow the wine to reduce by half before adding the water, stock, lemon, olives and thyme. Simmer for 30 minutes, adding splashes of water if needed
- Serve with basmati rice, white or brown as you prefer.
Recipe taken from Superfoods 24/7: Delicious Recipes for Superfoods at Every Meal by Jessica Nadel (Apple Press, £14.99)
Since you're here...
Join us as a member and support the vegan movement from just £2 a month. Since 1944, our members have been integral to supporting us as we spread the vegan message, help vulnerable vegans in need and work with institutions and governments to turn the world vegan. As a reward, you'll receive over 100 vegan-friendly discounts, The Vegan quarterly magazine, podcast extra, access to a vegan dietitian and a community of vegans and much more.