This one-pot rice dish not only saves you washing up time, but can be easily adapted to use ingredients you already own.
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 or 2 potatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, roughly sliced
- 1 tablespoon stock powder
- 2 teaspoon toasted and ground cumin seed or pre-ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- Add all of the ingredients straight into the pan.
- Pour in enough water so that the ingredients are just about covered.
- Bring to the boil on a high heat, then reduce to a simmer - add a little hot water if the pan dries out too much.
- Cook for around 30-40 minutes until the rice is cooked through.
Approximate cost* per portion: 68p
Recipe credit to Chef Day Radley at The Vegan Chef School.
*Approximate cost calculated using average prices from three main supermarket retailers in the UK. Price data accurate as of April 2020.