Get all the protein with this delicious Mexican rice.
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 cup (225g) of wholegrain brown rice (washed)
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 carton of cannellini beans (washed and drained)
- 1/2 carton of kidney beans (wash and drained)
- 1 carton of black beans (washed and drained)
- 1 small can of sweetcorn (washed and drained)
- 2 cups (475ml) of vegetable stock
- Wash and prepare your ingredients.
- Lightly heat up a little olive oil in a large pan and add the chopped onion, garlic and mixed peppers. Lightly fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the wholegrain rice along with the spices and salt. Thoroughly coat the rice with the oil and leave to cook for a few minutes.
- Add in the tomato puree, mix thoroughly and leave to cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in your vegetable stock, beans, salt and sweetcorn. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer with a lid on for around 25-30 minutes. Make sure the rice doesn't stick to the pan, so stir occasionally and add some extra stock/water if needed.
- When the rice has fully cooked, turn off the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes whilst you prepare your dish
Recipe taken from Holly Jade at The Little Blog of Vegan
Since you're here...
Join us as a member and support the vegan movement from just £2 a month. Since 1944, our members have been integral to supporting us as we spread the vegan message, help vulnerable vegans in need and work with institutions and governments to turn the world vegan. As a reward, you'll receive over 100 vegan-friendly discounts, The Vegan quarterly magazine, podcast extra, access to a vegan dietitian and a community of vegans and much more.