Pasties, including vegetable ones, have appeared in cookbooks since the 1300s.
- 100g dried brown lentils
- 275ml water for cooking lentils
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 220g potatoes, diced
- 150g peas, tinned or fresh
- 2 tsp yeast extract (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- 450g shortcrust pastry, home-made or frozen
- Soya milk to glaze
- Wash lentils and boil in water with celery for approx 40 mins until tender. Drain well. Steam or boil carrots, potatoes and peas until tender.
- Place all ingredients except pastry in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Allow to cool.
- Roll out pastry and cut out rounds to make pasties. Make very small pasties so the child can easily hold them. Place spoonful of filling in middle of pastry round and moisten edges with soya milk. Bring edges together and press firmly to seal. Brush with soya milk to glaze, and poke holes with fork to allow hot air to escape.
- Bake for 15-20 mins at 200C, 400F or gas mark 6. Remove from oven when brown on top. Allow to cool. May be served hot or cold.