This simple ‘bung it all in and mix’ cake is great to prepare with children.
For the cake:
- 6 oz (175g) self raising flour
- 3 level tsp baking powder
- 1 oz (25g) cocoa
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) Barbados sugar
- 4 1/2 fl oz (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 11 1/2 fl oz (325 ml) cold water
For the frosting:
- 3 oz (85g) vegan soya-free margarine
- 6 oz (170g) sieved icing sugar desired
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
- Place all the cake ingredients in a bowl in the order given and mix thoroughly.
- Place mixture in greased loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes in the pre-heated oven. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat together the ingredients for the frosting until thick and creamy, adding flavouring (e.g. coffee, cocoa, orange) if required.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cake once it has completely cooled.