Watercress: an under-rated and exciting plant to cook with.
- 6 2/3 - 9 cups (1.5-2kg) of potatoes
- 6 1/2 cups (200-220g) of watercress (two bags)
- 1 medium onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut and fry the onion with some oil in a large pan for five minutes, stirring regularly.
- Peel and slice the potatoes into small chunks, and add them to the onion for 5-10 minutes.
- Boil a kettle and pour the hot water over the potatoes and onions until it is just covering them.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for a further 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
- Once they are soft, add the watercress, pepper and salt, and blend them all together. Serve with fresh bread.
Alternative watercress soup recipe - try them both, see which you prefer
- 1/4 cup (2 oz / 55g) vegan margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bunches of watercress
- 7/8 cup (4 oz / 115g) plain flour
- 3 2/3 cups (1 1/2 pt / 916ml) vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cups (1/2 pt / 310ml) soya milk
- 5/8 cup (1/4 pt / 156ml) soya cream
- Melt margarine in pan. Fry onion and watercress for a few minutes.
- Add flour. Stir well. Remove from heat.
- Stir in stock and milk gradually then return to heat and stir until soup thickens.
- Season and serve with a swirl of soya cream.