For the pie
- 7 oz (200g) dried chestnuts, soaked overnight
- 2 medium onions, peeled & chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 12 oz (340g) mushrooms, washed & sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slabs of vegan puff pastry
For the sauce
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 5 fl oz (140ml) chestnut stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Few drops of soya sauce
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Set the oven to 400F/200C/gas mark 6. Have a 10 inch (25mm) diameter ovenproof plate ready.
- Simmer the chestnuts in the soaking water for half an hour or so, until tender. Drain and slice. Keep the stock and put aside in a large bowl.
- Fry the onions and garlic until golden brown. Add the mushrooms and fry until tender. Add all these to the chestnuts and leave.
- Next make the sauce: mix the cornflour with 5 fl oz of chestnut stock to make a smooth paste. Whisk the paste into the other ingredients of the sauce. Stir thoroughly into the chestnut mixture.
- Roll out the slabs of pastry on a floured surface and use one to cover the plate. Trim the edges and fill with the mixture up to 1 inch (25mm) from the edge. Brush with water and lay second slab on top, trim the edge and seal well, crimping pastry edges.
- Use remaining pastry to decorate your pie.
- Brush with soya milk and bake for 45 mins, middle shelf, until golden brown and risen.