There are many vegan options for Christmas dinner, but you can't go far wrong with the classic nut roast with all the trimmings. This nut roast is particularly easy to make with no need to spend the whole day in the kitchen.
- 1 medium sized onion or 1 small leek, chopped
- 1 fl oz (30ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10ml) yeast extract in 1/4 pint hot water (optional)
- 8 oz (225g) chopped mixed nuts
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 4 oz (100g) wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp sage
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4
- Saute the onion or leek in the oil until soft, not browned.
- Combine all of the ingredients together; the mixture may be slightly slack. Turn into an oiled ovenproof dish and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Image kindly provided by Belle Rivas