A ham and cheese sandwich generates 1.3 times more CO2e than a Mediterranean rice salad, and a Cornish pasty generates 2.1 times more CO2e.
From Savvy Vegetarian
- 4 cups cooked long grain brown rice (from 1 1/3 cups of raw rice)
- 2 2/3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic or to taste, peeled and minced
- freshly squeezed juice of 1.5 lemons
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped small
- half 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil OR Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 1/3 cups spinach leaves, washed, stemmed, and chopped (to save time use prewashed baby spinach)
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped small
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (scallions or chives)
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata or regular black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts OR 1/3 cup toasted sunflower seeds (toast on a flat baking pan for 15 minutes at 250 degrees)
- 2/3 teaspoon dried oregano leaf
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper optional:
- 1/3 cup cooked black beans (canned or home cooked). If using canned beans, drain, rinse and then drain well in a sieve.
- Make rice ahead of time and cool to room temperature
- Heat oil on medium in a fry pan, and saute minced garlic until soft but not browned (2 minutes).
- Add red peppers and saute with garlic until tender crisp (2 minutes)(tender crisp means half cooked)
- Add the spinach to the pan and stir until wilted
- Use a spatula to scrape the oil, garlic and red pepper into a large bowl
- Add the lemon juice to the fry pan and stir it around, then add it to the bowl
- Add salt, pepper and dried oregano leaf to the lemon and oil mixture
- Add rice to the bowl, and toss the rice with the olive oil mixture
- Stir chopped basil, cucumber, green onions, olives, toasted pine nuts or sunflower seeds, and optional black beans into the rice mixture
- Cover and let salad marinate for an hour before serving, in the fridge or not, as you like.
- Serve salad at room temperature or chilled.