This aubergine dip is smoky, garlicky and delicious.
For the flatbread (8 servings)
- 150 g plain white flour
- 150 g wholemeal flour
- 100 g gram (chickpea) flour
- 2 tsp black onion seeds (AKA Nigella seeds)
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 ml water
For the baba ganoush (4 servings)
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, picked
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
For the topping (4 servings)
- 100 ml water
- 1 courgette, small dice
- 1 aubergine, small dice
- 50 g golden sultana
- 20 g pine kernels, toasted
- ½ red onion, small dice
- 25 g spinach leaves, torn
- Smoked paprika (optional)
For the flatbread
- Combine all of the flours with the black onion seeds and add the salt. Mix with 200 ml water (more if needed) to form a soft, workable dough and set aside for 20 mins to rest.
- You can follow the other sections of the recipe while the dough rests and finish cooking the bread before serving so it’s warm and fresh.
- Divide into 50 g balls and roll out using a rolling pin until they are 3 mm thick.
- Heat a large frying pan on a high heat and add the flatbreads one at a time, cooking until they start to colour and bubble up. When all done, set aside.
For the baba ganoush
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthwise and score the flesh being careful not to cut through the purple skin.
- Lay the garlic, thyme and a pinch of salt over two halves then top with the other halves.
- Wrap each aubergine in tinfoil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at a medium heat until the aubergines are cooked and soft.
- Remove from the foil and scrape the flesh into a blender. Add the oil and blend to a puree.
- Season with the lemon juice and black pepper to taste.
For the topping
- Heat a saucepan and add 100 ml water to the pan. When it comes to a simmer, add all of the topping ingredients except the spinach and cook until everything is tender but with a slight crunch to it. Add the spinach and wilt into the mix.
Spoon the baba ganoush into a large bowl, making a well in the centre. Add the topping mix into the well and dust if you like with a touch of smoked paprika. Serve with the flatbread.
Nutritional analysis per serving (1/4 recipe)
|Kcal||Carbs (g)||Fibre (g)||Protein (g)||Fat (g)||Saturates (g)||Sugars (g)||Salt (g)|