I'm currently studying for an MA Applied Linguistics with TESOL at Birmingham University, and view reducing the suffering of animals worldwide (particularly in factory farming) and tackling climate change as probably our most pressing ethical imperatives; so I’m hoping to produce some research that might help us edge toward a better future for animals and the planet.
Areas of research knowledge and interest:
- Psycholinguistics (especially relationships between language and thought, belief, behaviour; embodied cognition; situation models; metaphor)
- Other areas of applied linguistics including discourse analysis and corpus linguistics
- Teaching, particularly TESOL (I’ve worked as an ESOL teacher for most of my adult life, mostly at universities in China, and I love it!)
- China (my partner is Chinese and I lived there as a vegetarian/vegan for nearly 10 years, and Chinese attitudes toward meat consumption are especially consequential due to the country’s large population)
- Music (I’ve previously worked as a musician and as a guitar teacher and have a strong interest in songwriting and production); games (tabletop and computer); moral philosophy; Effective Altruism; Sentientism