- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large aubergine, cut into even bite-sized cubes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 red (bell) pepper, sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp green olives
- 400g can butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a high heat, then add the aubergine, oregano, mixed herbs and cinnamon. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the onion and red pepper, and cook for a further 2 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, 150ml of water and ketchup, followed by the olives and butter beans.
- Reduce the heat to medium, partially cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes,
- stirring occasionally.
- Scatter with the parsley and season with sea salt just before serving.
Carbon emissions: 0.55kg per serving
By Katy Beskow, from 15 Minute Vegan Comfort Food