Try this delicious sandwich filling on toast or even on its own as an easy snack!
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and smashed
- 500ml rapeseed oil
- 1 mug celery, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsps fresh herbs, e.g. parsley, basil. Finely chopped
- 1/2 mug diced gherkins/pickles
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- Drain chickpeas and place in a large bowl (retain the chickpea water for step 2) and mash well - you can use a potato masher, or the bottom of a jar to smash them.
- Blend the chickpea water until stiff peaks have formed and drizzle in the rapeseed oil until a creamy consistency is formed. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Combine with the mashed chickpeas.
- Add the celery, gherkins, red onion, crushed garlic, and paprika to the chickpeas and stir through.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Add more paprika or salt & pepper, or lemon juice to your taste.
- Serve as a sandwich filling with lettuce, tomatoes or other fresh salad ingredients or alternatively, serve as a side to a salad. It tastes great on toast too!
Recipe credit to Sustainable Kitchen