Curried Coconut Ramen
Slurp up this incredibly creamy fusion ramen that pairs the best of Indian flavours with the Japanese classic. Secret ingredient: 20p instant chicken noodles (yes, they’re accidentally vegan in Tesco!). This recipe is from The Vegan Punks.
- 400g mushrooms – sliced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 400ml coconut milk (full fat)
- 1.5 litre water
- 250g broccoli – chopped into bite-sized florets
- 3 x vegan instant chicken noodles – including the seasoning packets
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups sweetcorn
- Pour a splash of oil into a frying pan and bring to medium-high heat. Cook the mushrooms until they’ve started to brown, add half a tablespoon of the curry powder and fry for another minute.
- In a large pan, add another splash of oil and fry off the remaining 1.5 tablespoons of curry powder for a minute.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water, and bring up to a simmer.
- Pop in the broccoli and keep simmering for 1 minute.
- Add the noodles (excluding the seasoning for now) and simmer for a further 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in the seasoning mix from the noodles, then add 1 to 2 tablespoons of soy sauce to taste.
- Serve up the noodles, broth and broccoli into bowls, then top with the curried mushrooms and sweetcorn.
Total cost: £3.59
Per portion cost: 90p
- 400g mushrooms – ~£1.20
- 2 tbsp curry powder – ~16p
- 400ml coconut milk – ~69p
- 1.5 litre water
- 250g broccoli – ~50p
- 3 x vegan instant chicken noodles – ~60p
- 2 tbsp soy sauce – ~11p
- 2 cups sweetcorn – ~33p
*All recipes have been developed with a target of no more than £1 per portion. Ingredients were primarily sourced from Aldi, with a couple of ingredients sourced from Sainsbury’s or Tesco where Aldi didn’t stock them. Prices were all valid as of June/July 2022.
Ingredients were either bought in exact quantities required for the recipe, or in the smallest quantity available to ensure prices weren’t artificially low through bulk buying.