This is a great centrepiece to your special occasion table whether for Christmas day, New Year's day or just in place of a Sunday roast.
- 4 oz (115g) dried chestnuts and 2 1/2 pint (1.5l) water - enough to cover the chestnuts by 2 inches. Alternatively, use pre-cooked
- 3 fl oz (90ml) vegetable oil
- 6 oz (170g) onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 fl oz (30ml) soya sauce
- 1/2 fl oz (15ml) vegan brandy
- Soya cream
- 4 oz (115g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 oz (55g) ground hazelnuts
- 1 lb (455g) puff pastry
- Sprinkling of flour for rolling pastry
- Sesame seeds
- 1 lb (455g) mushrooms
- 1/2 pint (285ml) vegan red wine
- Soak chestnuts in water overnight unless pre-cooked in packet.
- Place soaked chestnuts in pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender. Remove liquid. (Ignore step 1 and 2 if usng pre-cooked chestnuts).
- Saute onions and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in herbs, season and add soya sauce and brandy then bring to boil.
- Stir in breadcrumbs, hazelnuts and chestnuts (saving 12 whole chestnuts) and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Blend to rough puree and add cream to taste. Work into rectangular block.
- Place mushrooms in pan with the wine and simmer until most of the liquid is gone.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
- Sprinkle surface with flour and roll out puff pastry into a rough rectangle, saving some of the pastry to cut out leaves for decoration.
- Place mushroom ragout on centre of pastry and place chestnut pate on top. Place row of whole chestnuts onto the pate.
- Fold pastry over, cutting off the extra edges, seal by brushing edges with soya milk, decorate with pastry leaves and sprinkle with sesame seeds, place on well oiled tray.
- Put in oven for 40 minutes (30 minutes in a fan assisted oven). Slice and serve on bed of mixed leaves.