A classic fruit cake recipe - perfection guaranteed every time.
- 2 lb (900g) dried fruit
- 1 pint (570ml) rice or soya milk
- 7 fl oz (200ml) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (455g) self raising wholemeal flour
- 2 oz (55g) ground almonds
- 4 oz (125g) dark brown muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- Rind of 1 lemon
- Pinch of allspice
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F/gas mark 2.
- Mix in given order.
- Beat well and pour into well lined greased 23cm (9 inch) cake tin.
- Cover top with greaseproof paper. Bake for 2 hours then reduce to 130C/250F/gas mark 1 and bake for 1- 2hours.
- Cool in tin: a tin with a detachable base is best.
- Can be covered with jam and a large packet of white or coloured marzipan for special occasions.
Thanks to The Eighth Day Co-op, Manchester for this recipe.