These are brilliant if you're entertaining because the baskets can be made in advance, giving you more time to spend with your guests.
- 10 oz (285g) soya margarine
- 1 lb (455g) white sugar
- 8 oz (225g) plain flour
- 8 oz (225g) golden syrup
- 1/4 tbsp ground ginger
Sugar spun net
- 1 lb (455g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sugar water
- Scoops of vegan sorbet and/or vegan ice cream
- Assortment of fruit to taste
- Icing sugar
- Soften margarine and sugar, mix with rest of ingredients in a bowl. Rest for as long as possible (until cold).
- Roll into little balls and squash down onto greased baking sheet. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C/375F/gas mark 6 until dark or golden brown.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly until firm enough to handle.
- Mould over back of small greased bowl/jar/bottle. Remove and allow to cool.
- Store in airtight container until ready to serve.
Sugar spun net
- Boil ingredients in saucepan until hard ball consistency and slightly golden colour. To test when ready, drop small amount into iced water. When ready caramel will turn brittle.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Grease back of appropriately sized ladle using a spoon, remove caramel from saucepan and drizzle in opposite directions over ladle (be careful of splashing as caramel is still hot).
- Allow to cool. When brittle, knock off gently and place in airtight container until ready to serve, making sure the nets do not touch each other.
Place assorted cut fruit on oven tray and sprinkle with icing sugar. Grill or roast until golden brown.
To serve, place basket on centre of plate, fill with sorbet/ice-cream, cover with net and arrange fruit around basket.