- 500g (2 cups) passata
- generous handful of basil leaves, finely chopped (reserve a few small leaves to garnish)
- 1 garlic clove, very thinly sliced
- 1 yellow (bell) pepper, roughly sliced
- 1 courgette (zucchini), roughly chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 500g (1lb 2oz) potato gnocchi (ensure egg-free), rinsed with hot water
- 6 tsp vegan cream cheese, chilled
- generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Stir together the passata, chopped basil and garlic in the bottom of a deep roasting pan, then add the pepper, courgette and cherry tomatoes.
- Add the rinsed gnocchi and cover the pan loosely with foil. Bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes until the gnocchi have become tender.
- Remove the pan from the oven and discard the foil. Dollop over the cream cheese in teaspoon-sized amounts, pressing them gently into the sauce. Scatter over the reserved basil leaves and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over a little olive oil and serve hot.
Serve with crusty bread or garlic bread, if you like.
Serves 2 generously / Approximate cost* per portion: £1.89
Recipe taken from Vegan Roasting Pan by Katy Beskow (Quadrille, £15). Photography ©Luke Albert.
*Approximate cost calculated using average prices from three main supermarket retailers in the UK. Price data accurate as of December 2021.