This is even better if you can make the sauce the night before and leave it in a pan for all the flavours to be absorbed. Serves 4-6: remember to save the leftovers and fridge/freeze them for later.
Don't have any lentils? Use vegan mince or beans instead.
- 1 large mug green lentils
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 large stick of celery
- 2 handfuls of chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint stock
- 1 pack spaghetti
- Soften the garlic, onions, carrot and celery in a pan with the oil.
- Add the lentils and mushrooms (if using) and cook for 10 mins.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock.
- Cook for at least an hour on a low heat – the longer and slower you cook this the better it will be.
- Check the sauce, you want it to be nice and thick.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions and drain well.
- Return to the pan and add the sauce, mixing well. Serve.
Since you're here...
Join us as a member and support the vegan movement from just £2 a month. Since 1944, our members have been integral to supporting us as we spread the vegan message, help vulnerable vegans in need and work with institutions and governments to turn the world vegan. As a reward, you'll receive over 100 vegan-friendly discounts, The Vegan quarterly magazine, podcast extra, access to a vegan dietitian and a community of vegans and much more.