This is even better if you can make the sauce the night before and leave it in a pan for all the flavours to be absorbed. Serves 4-6: remember to save the leftovers and fridge/freeze them for later.
Don't have any lentils? Use vegan mince or beans instead.
- 1 large mug green lentils
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 large stick of celery
- 2 handfuls of chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint stock
- 1 pack spaghetti
- Soften the garlic, onions, carrot and celery in a pan with the oil.
- Add the lentils and mushrooms (if using) and cook for 10 mins.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock.
- Cook for at least an hour on a low heat – the longer and slower you cook this the better it will be.
- Check the sauce, you want it to be nice and thick.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions and drain well.
- Return to the pan and add the sauce, mixing well. Serve.