Look up 'decadence' in the dictionary and it's quite likely you'll find a picture of this cake (well, probably not, but that's clearly an oversight by the publisher!)
- 8 oz (225g) self raising wholemeal flour
- 6 level dssp cocoa powder
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 level tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp soya flour
- 7 oz (200g) caster sugar
- 9 fl oz (250ml) water
- 2 oz (55g) vegan margarine
- 4 oz (55g) icing sugar
- 1 tsp coffee essence or v. strong coffee
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- 1 bar vegan chocolate
- 1-2 tbsp boiling water
- chocolate covered coffee beans - optional
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
- Sift flour into a basin with the cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar. Add soya flour and sugar, and then mix together. Stir in the water.
- Turn evenly into two greased 7 inch sandwich tins. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes. Leave in the tins until cool before turning out.
- Make the filling: cream the margarine with half the sugar, then add remainder and cream again. Stir in coffee essence or strong coffee gradually to required consistency. When smooth add a few drops of vanilla essence.
- Make the topping: melt the chocolate in a double saucepan and add boiling water. The more water added the softer the topping.
- Spread on top of cake and leave to set. If desired decorate with chocolate covered coffee beans.