If you're keen to avoid processed sugar but just can't live without cake, this is a great recipe to try. The bananas and raisins provide all the sweetness you'll need.
- 1 lb (450g) very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 oz (50g) brazil nuts, roughly chopped
- 3 fl oz (90ml) sunflower oil
- 2 fl oz (60ml) water
- 4 oz (115g) raisins
- 4 oz (115g) rolled oats
- 4 oz (115g) wholemeal flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
- Mix all the ingredients together. The consistency should be soft and moist.
- Spoon into a greased and lined 900g/2lb loaf tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before turning out.