Nothing figuratively 'vanilla' about this real vanilla vegan treat!
- 100g vegan margarine
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 200g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200ml plant milk
- Few drops vanilla essence (optional if making normal sponge)
• Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix using an electric hand blender or by hand (by hand will take longer)
• Put the mixture into a greased baking tin or a heatproof bowl if you want a dome cake
• Bake at 180°C for approximately 30 minutes
• It's ready when it's golden on top, firm and springy to the touch and a skewer comes out clean
You can then fill the cake with mixtures like jam and/or buttercream: just mix half and half vegan margarine with icing sugar to get vegan buttercream. Top with raspberries for great effect.