- 8 very ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup (252g) maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (76g) coconut oil (melt if it’s cold and hard)
- 1 cup (250ml) unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/4 cup (43g) chia seeds
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (126g) millet flour (buy, or make your own by grinding 1 cup whole millet in blender until fine flour forms)
- 1 cup (169g) rice flour (buy, or make your own as per millet directions above)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups (186g) unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 140-160 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, mash 6 bananas until smooth. Stir in remaining wet ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients except coconut. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients; stir until fully combined. Stir in coconut.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared loaf tins, smoothing out tops. Top each loaf with slices of remaining 2 bananas. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store loaves well-covered in the fridge (if they make it that far!)
Recipe and image by Donna Wild