A vegan version of an absolute cake classic - your granny will love it!
- 3 oz / 85g margarine
- 0.5 lb / 225g plain flour
- 4 oz / 112g currants
- 4 oz / 112g raisins
- 2 oz / 57g cherries, halved
- 2 oz / 57g whole, blanched almonds
- half tsp mixed spice
- 4 oz / 112g soft brown sugar
- 1/4 pint / 140 fl oz soya milk, warmed
- half tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1.5 tbsp malt vinegar
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F/gas mark 3.
- Rub together the margarine and flour. Stir in the currants, raisins, cherries, almonds, mixed spice and soft brown sugar.
- Put the warm milk in a large bowl and sprinkle on the bicarbonate of soda, then add the malt vinegar. Beat all the ingredients together quickly.
- Place in an 8 inch round cake tin, greased & lined. Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 2 1/2 hours.