Everything you loved about school dinners mixed into one cake - genius!
- 10 oz (275g) white self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 8 oz (225g) caster sugar
- 8 fl oz (230ml) vegetable oil
- 5 fl oz (150ml) orange juice
- 5 fl oz (150ml) water
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Vegan custard powder
- 1-2 tbsp sugar to taste
- 1 pint (570ml) soya milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) plain chocolate
- 4 slightly rounded dssp vegan margarine
- 3 heaped tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp soya dream (or banana OY shake)
- 2-3 bananas
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/gas mark 3. Grease 2 x 8-8 1/2 inch tins.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Add the sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, orange juice, water and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well to a smooth, fairly wet batter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tins and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until the cakes start to shrink away from the sides of the tins and spring back when lightly pressed in the centre.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out to cool on a wire rack.
- Next make 1 pint of custard as per instructions on the packet. Stir in vanilla essence at the end and leave to cool.
- To make the chocolate sauce melt the chocolate with the margarine, icing sugar and soya dream.
- Once the sponge has cooled crumble it into a flat form, in a dish approximately 12 x 8 inch. Then add the cooled down custard, cut a thick layer of banana on top and finally pour over the still liquid chocolate sauce. Chill for 2-3 hours then serve.