Lamingtons make for such a satisfying snack. Between the soft sponge, the rich chocolate and the chewy coconut, it may be an impossibility to stop at just one. Add some raspberry jam, and you might as well just start eating straight out of the cake tin. Serves 12.
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) soy milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups (264g) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (364g) rice malt syrup or liquid sweetener of your choice
- 1/3 cup (76g) melted coconut oil
- 2 cups (150g) frozen raspberries
- 1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds (optional if unable to find chia seeds)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or liquid sweetener of your choice
- 1 cup (296g) coconut cream
- 1/2 cup (65g) cacao/cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (167g) maple syrup or liquid sweetener of your choice
- 2 cups (186g) desiccated or shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius and grease and line a square cake tin
- Combine soy milk with apple cider vinegar and leave for 10 minutes
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, vanilla, powder and bicarbonate of soda
- Add rice malt syrup and coconut oil to milk mixture, and pour into flour mixture
- Combine all ingredients and bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and leave to cool
- Meanwhile, to make raspberry jam, combine raspberries, chia seeds and maple syrup in a saucepan and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat and place in fridge for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight
- To make chocolate sauce, combine coconut cream, cacao and maple syrup in a saucepan over a medium heat until combined
- Remove from heat and place in fridge for at least 1 hour
- To assemble lamingtons, cut cake into squares and cut across the middle
- Sandwich jam into the middle of each lamington
- Dip each lamington into chocolate sauce, letting excess chocolate drip off
- Finally, dip lamingtons into coconut and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe and image by Lancey Morris of sweetlancey.com
Since you're here...
Join us as a member and support the vegan movement from just £2 a month. Since 1944, our members have been integral to supporting us as we spread the vegan message, help vulnerable vegans in need and work with institutions and governments to turn the world vegan. As a reward, you'll receive over 100 vegan-friendly discounts, The Vegan quarterly magazine, podcast extra, access to a vegan dietitian and a community of vegans and much more.