This makes a great alternative to hummus and is lovely spread on warm toast. For a healthy snack, try the spread with celery stalks.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 x 14 oz (400g) tinned butterbeans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 heaped tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onion for a few minutes. Add the tomato to the pan. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the beans and put them into a bowl. Mash them coarsely and add to the saucepan, stirring well.
- Season to taste, cook for a minute or two, then remove from the heat.
- Mix in the fresh herbs then turn into a shallow bowl. Leave to cool then chill in the fridge.