- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 small onions – diced
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger – peeled and minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 400g red lentils (2 cups)
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat works better)
- 450ml of water (2 cups)
- Bunch of fresh coriander – roughly chopped
- Put the oil into a large saucepan with the onions, ginger and garlic and cook for around 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the onions are softened.
- Stir in the spices, lentils, coconut milk and water.
- Cook for 35- 45 minutes until the lentils are soft and the mix has thickened up.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coriander, saving some to garnish.
- Serve with brown rice or quinoa.
Recipe by Rosie Martin. Read her blog on gluten free vegan living here.