This recipe is ideal for adding a personal twist. You can make it your own by using whatever beans, vegetables or grains you have at home.
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
One half of a 15-oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups prepared mild salsa
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 tsp cinnamon (if you are unsure about this ingredient, start with 1/8 teaspoon)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
- In a large nonstick saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and bell pepper, and sauté until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the salsa, black beans, and spices and let bubble for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice, reduce heat to medium-low, and heat through (about 5 minutes). The mixture should be moist but not runny.
- Add additional salsa (or just water) if needed.
- Remove from heat and finish with your choice of toppings (jalapeno, avocado, cheddar, hot sauce, etc.)
Optional toppings: sliced jalapeno peppers, avocado, cheddar cheese, hot sauce
Recipe courtesy of Julia Robarts, chef and food writer for Juggling with Julia. From Pulses UK.