There are so many brands of vegan cheese on the market now, all with very distinct flavours and textures. If you're not keen on the first one you try, keep experimenting, you're bound to find one you like.
- 14 oz (400g) spinach, tinned or fresh
- 4 oz (115g) tofu, crumbled
- 1 dssp vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 oz (150g) mushrooms, sliced
- 5 oz (150g) sweetcorn
- 1/2 pkt vegan cheese, grated
- 13 oz (375g) vegan puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/gas mark 6.
- Prepare the spinach. If using tinned spinach, drain it really thoroughly, squeezing the water out. If using fresh spinach, wash thoroughly and steam for 2 minutes. Place in a bowl and knead the tofu and veg bouillon into the spinach with your hands (do not use a processor). The tofu should end up as small flecks.
- Fry the onion for a few minutes in the oil until translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Roll 1 lb 2 oz/500g of the puff pastry to fit a fairly large pie dish. It should go up the sides as well. Then in layers - and in the following order - place the spinach mix, sweetcorn (which can be fresh, tinned or frozen) and mushroom mix.
- Finish off with the grated cheese.
- Roll the remaining pastry so that it fits the top. Moisten with water around the edges so it sticks to the bottom pastry. Pierce some holes into the pastry with a fork. Bake for about 30 minutes or until fairly well browned.