Everyone - vegan and non-vegan alike - becomes tired of the same old pasta and rice dishes that we all have on rotation. Why not mix things up a little by trying something new? You can find millet in most supermarkets and it makes a nice change from the more common grains.
- 4 oz (115g) millet
- 3/4 pint (430g) vegetable stock
- 6 oz (175g) firm tofu, mashed with a fork
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 oz (55g) hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
- 2 oz (55g) breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 8 tbsp water and 4 tbsp soya flour mixed to a paste
- 4 oz (115g) oat flakes
- Rapeseed or other vegetable oil for frying
- Cook the millet in the stock for 15 to 20 minutes or until soft. Leave until cool.
- Stir all the ingredients together except the oats and soya flour paste.
- Shape into eight flat cakes. Dip each one into the soya flour mixture and then the oats. Heat a little oil in a pan and cook the cakes gently on each side.