Because no recipe section would be complete without this kitchen staple. Stock is a great way to use up vegetables that are not quite crunchy fresh but still contain valuable nutrients. Leaving the onion and garlic skin on will make the broth richer with more colour.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 large carrots, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, quartered
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half
- 4 pints (2.3l) water
- 8 parsley sprigs
- 8 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add vegetables and garlic and stir in oil for a couple minutes.
- Add water and herbs and simmer, covered, until broth becomes rich and vegetables lose colour and become very soft (30 min-1 hour).
- Strain the broth. The stock will keep for a day or two, but can be frozen.