There are many ready-made pasta sauces on the market, and they're much quicker to use if time is of the essence. Yet if time allows, freshly made sauces are, of course, a better option. To make a ready-made basic sauce more interesting, you can add a variety of finely chopped and lightly fried vegetables e.g. mushrooms, red peppers, or onions. Wheat-free and gluten-free pasta is available for those with sensitivities, and can usually be found in whole/health food shops. These are usually made from rice, millet or maize.
- 450g firm plain tofu
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- Boiling water to cook pasta
- 2-3 adult portions of small dried pasta shells, bows or twists
- 350g jar of pasta sauce
- Lightly fried vegetables of your choice
- Cut tofu into small cubes, cover in soya sauce and marinade for 30 mins.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and place pasta in boiling water. Simmer until tender for approx 10 mins (wholemeal pasta takes slightly longer).
- Heat pasta sauce in another pan with cubes of tofu.
- When pasta has finished cooking, drain thoroughly and add to the sauce along with lightly fried vegetables. Mix thoroughly and serve.