- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tsp paprika
- 3 cups (710ml) tomato juice
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 - 2 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups (710ml) vegetable bouillon
- 1 (15-oz) can coconut milk
- ½ cup (100g) long-grain rice
- 1 (15-oz) can red kidney beans
- sea salt and black pepper for the croutons
- 3 cups (150g) day-old bread cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then add the onion and cook over medium-high heat for 5–7 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the garlic, celery, carrots, peppers, bay leaves, and 2 teaspoons of paprika, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato juice, tomato paste and thyme leaves, then cook for 5 minutes. Add the bouillon, coconut milk, and rice. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and cook for another 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper before serving garnished with croutons.
- To make the croutons, toss the cubes of stale bread with the olive oil, 2 teaspoons of paprika, and thyme. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake at 375°F for 4–5 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe from ‘500 Vegan Dishes’ by Deborah Gray, published in 2011 by Apple Press Ltd. Photography by Ian Garlick.