- 1 large aubergine cut into 4mm slices lengthways
- 40ml olive oil
- 1tsp fine salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 black olives, coarsely chopped
- 40g sun dried tomato puree
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 6-8 basil leaves
- 75g butter beans cooked or canned, lightly crushed
- 5ml extra virgin olive oil
Brush the aubergine slices with olive oil generously and drizzle salt lightly over the slices and sauté them on a medium temperature in a non-stick pan for approximately 3 minutes on each side with the lid on until lightly browned. Alternatively, use a griddle pan. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic.
- Lightly spread the tomato puree onto the aubergine slices and drizzle with garlic and pepper.
- Place a basil leaf at the narrow end of the aubergine slice followed by a heaped teaspoon of the butter beans and some of the olives on top of the leaf and roll up to create the involtini roll.
Copyright: The Vegan Society 2018 Recipe development: Chico Francesco, London Vegetarian & Vegan School https://londonvegetarianschool.co.uk/ Food stylist: Jo Brewer Photographer: Sue Hiscoe Ceramics by Gemma Whitaker.