The perfect appetizer for a World Vegan Month celebration!
For the chips:
- Tortilla flatbread – allow 1-2 per guest. White, brown, multigrain or corn are all fine.
- 1 tbsp sunflower or rapeseed oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Ground cumin
- Hot paprika
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the oil and lime juice together in a small dish.
- Cut the tortillas into wedges (1 tortilla makes 8).
- Arrange on the baking sheet and brush with the oil and juice.
- Sprinkle with either salt and pepper, or cumin, or paprika and bake for 8-10 minutes until crisp but not too brown.
- Cool on a rack.
For the dips:
All these dips are based on store cupboard ingredients, so you can create a variety quite quickly!
- 1 small raw beetroot
- 1 300g (10 oz) tub hummus
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
Trim, peel and finely grate the beetroot. Stir into the hummus along with the cumin seeds.
Hot mango dip
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 small preserved lemon
- 1 tsp harissa paste
Peel the mango and chop the flesh finely. Chop the preserved lemon finely. Combine these with a teaspoon of harissa paste.
- 1 125g (4 ½ oz) tub unflavoured vegan yoghurt
- 1-2 tsp ready-made mint sauce.
- Mix the mint sauce into the yoghurt.
- ½ small red onion
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp vegan pesto
Peel and chop the red onion finely, place in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then drain. Put the tomatoes into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until chopped but chunky. Place in a sieve to drain for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the onions and pesto.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lime
Peel, stone and mash the avocado. Add the nutritional yeast, zest of the lime and coriander. Mix well, transfer to serving bowl and squeeze a small wedge of the lime over the top.
Chill all the dips until ready to serve.
Recipe development: Jane Hughes. Food photographer: Sue Hiscoe. Copyright: The Vegan Society 2017