For the ‘cigars’ (makes 8):
- Filo pastry (4 sheets)
- Rapeseed oil
- 20 black olives, stoned
- 3 dates, stoned
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 50g (1 ½ oz) shelled pistachios
For the salad:
- 1 small red cabbage
- 1-2 orange(s)
- 100g (3 ½ oz) pistachios
For the salad dressing:
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 tsp sherry vinegar
- 3 tsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
For the ‘cigars’:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment.
- Place the filling ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and process to a paste. Divide into 8 portions.
- Take a sheet of filo pastry and lay it on a clean work surface.
- Brush sheet with oil, top with another sheet and then cut into 4 rectangles.
- Brush with oil again. Take a portion of the filling and form it into a line along a long edge of the pastry. Roll up tightly and place on prepared baking tray. Brush with oil.
- Repeat to make 8 ‘cigars’. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden, transfer to rack to cool.
For the salad:
- Shred the cabbage finely – allow 50g per person. Place in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, then pour onto the cabbage and mix thoroughly.
- Cut the rind and pith off the orange(s) and slice into rounds – allow one or two per person.
- Preheat a ridged griddle pan. Place the orange slices on the hot pan and allow to sit until caramelised in stripes.
- Chop the pistachios roughly.
Assemble the dish by piling the cabbage onto each plate, sprinkling with chopped pistachios, and adding a slice of orange, a ‘cigar’ or two and a grind of black pepper.