If you're not already a tofu fan, this recipe could well change your mind. You won't want to save it just for special occasions.
- 1 lb / 455g firm tofu, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- Approx. 2 tbsp wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- Soya sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Use your hands to mix together the first five ingredients. The result should be a soft dough.
- Add just enough breadcrumbs to make this hold together (for a firmer texture add some soya flour or egg substitute). Flavour to taste with herbs, soya sauce and seasoning.
- Divide the dough into eight small balls, flatten them, and shallow fry quickly for a few minutes on each side, taking care when you turn them.
- Arrange them side by side in a small oven proof dish to be reheated in the oven when needed. If you intend to freeze them, let them cool completely then cover before doing so.
- Serve with cranberry sauce (shop bought or home made).