These cupcakes are perfect for Valentine's Day, and make 12: plenty for all! Edible red cherry dust can be sparkled on top of the frosting too, to give it that sparkly edge.
- 215g golden caster sugar
- 110g plain flour or gluten free flour
- 120g dessicated coconut
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 130ml coconut almond milk
- 400g dairy free cream cheese
- 120g strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven at 165 degrees, gas mark 4. Line a 12 muffin pan with muffin paper cases.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Put all dry ingredients from the cupcake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the vinegar and coconut almond milk.
- Beat until combined – about 1 min.
- Divide evenly among the 12 paper cases, fill about 4/5.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. They will only have a slight golden colour.
- While they're baking, make the frosting. Beat together the cream 'cheese' and jam to make a light, fluffy icing. Option: add a few drops vegan red food colouring.
- Spoon or pipe onto the cakes once they've cooled. Decorate with a few blueberries or any fancy sugar decoration. You can also decorate them by cutting the outside skin of strawberries in slices. Make a little heart in each slice, using a tiny heart cutter and decorate the cupcake delicately.
Recipe by Danielle Maupertuis, Executive Pastry Chef
Since you're here...
Join us as a member and support the vegan movement from just £2 a month. Since 1944, our members have been integral to supporting us as we spread the vegan message, help vulnerable vegans in need and work with institutions and governments to turn the world vegan. As a reward, you'll receive over 100 vegan-friendly discounts, The Vegan quarterly magazine, podcast extra, access to a vegan dietitian and a community of vegans and much more.