These cupcakes are perfect for Valentine's Day, and make 12: plenty for all! Edible red cherry dust can be sparkled on top of the frosting too, to give it that sparkly edge.
- 215g golden caster sugar
- 110g plain flour or gluten free flour
- 120g dessicated coconut
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 130ml coconut almond milk
- 400g dairy free cream cheese
- 120g strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven at 165 degrees, gas mark 4. Line a 12 muffin pan with muffin paper cases.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Put all dry ingredients from the cupcake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the vinegar and coconut almond milk.
- Beat until combined – about 1 min.
- Divide evenly among the 12 paper cases, fill about 4/5.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. They will only have a slight golden colour.
- While they're baking, make the frosting. Beat together the cream 'cheese' and jam to make a light, fluffy icing. Option: add a few drops vegan red food colouring.
- Spoon or pipe onto the cakes once they've cooled. Decorate with a few blueberries or any fancy sugar decoration. You can also decorate them by cutting the outside skin of strawberries in slices. Make a little heart in each slice, using a tiny heart cutter and decorate the cupcake delicately.
Recipe by Danielle Maupertuis, Executive Pastry Chef