This is exactly what every host or hostess needs: a real showstopper that tastes as good as it looks but is deceptively easy to make. Serves 4.
- 12 squares of filo pastry, approximately 12 x 12cm each
- Olive oil for brushing the filo
- 1 oz (25g) vegan margarine
- 4 oz (100g) red onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) wild mushrooms, medium sliced
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 7 oz (200g) soya cream
- 7 oz (200g) baby leaf spinach
- Brush the top of each of the filo squares lightly with olive oil.
- For each tartlet, arrange three squares (oil side up) in a greased, individual tartlet tin (approx 9cm diameter), with each layer rotated compared to the previous one, so the corners are offset, creating a star shape.
- Bake the filo cases at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for 7-9 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place the vegan margarine into a saucepan and melt over a low heat. Add the onion and cook gently for 2-3 minutes without colouring. Stir in the cayenne pepper.
- Add the mushrooms and put the lid on the pan. Cook gently for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the nutmeg, soya cream and spinach. Cook covered, over a gentle heat, for 10 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for a further 10 minutes, until the spinach is wilted and tender and the soya cream has reduced slightly.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tartlet cases, and serve.