Pour this thick, creamy sauce over steamed vegetables, baked potatoes, macaroni - or drizzle it over pizza or casseroles before or after baking.
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water or plain non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup (15g) nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup (30g) plain flour, any kind
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp arrowroot, kuzu or cornstarch
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and process until completely smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring almost constantly with a wire whisk until very thick and smooth. Serve hot.
Reprinted with kind permission of the author. Taken from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak (Book Publishing Company, 2003).
Note: 1 cup = 250 ml