This is a great, easy recipe that you can vary to your hearts content.
To make a gluten free version, just omit the pastry.
- 500g shortcrust pastry – either use Jus-roll or make your own
- 3 1/4 cups (300g) chickpea (gram) flour
- 3 cups (700ml) boiling water
- Vegan stock
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast - you can buy this online and in health food stores
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Black pepper
- 150g cooked filling – pick what works for you: onions, red peppers, vegan cheese, leeks, spring onion, grated carrot, mushrooms, peas, asparagus, sweetcorn, small cubes of vegan sausages, etc.
- Herbs and spices of your choice e.g. parsley - 1/2 tsp of dried or 1 dssp of fresh (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Brush a 12 cup muffin tin with melted vegan margarine or oil to grease.
- Roll out your pastry and cut into circle.
- Place a circle into each cup and pat down lightly.
- Put the water in a pan with the stock and nutritional yeast, add salt, garlic powder, pepper and herbs and spices.
- Add the chickpea flour, turn down the heat and stir until it is thick and smooth.
- Add the cooked filling and taste – add more seasoning if required.
- Divide the filling up into your pastry cases.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes then open the door to let the steam out.
- Cook for another 15 minutes until golden brown and the filling has set.
- Let cool and brush with some melted vegan marg to give a glossy top.
Since you're here...
Join us as a member and support the vegan movement from just £2 a month. Since 1944, our members have been integral to supporting us as we spread the vegan message, help vulnerable vegans in need and work with institutions and governments to turn the world vegan. As a reward, you'll receive over 100 vegan-friendly discounts, The Vegan quarterly magazine, podcast extra, access to a vegan dietitian and a community of vegans and much more.