This is a great, easy recipe that you can vary to your hearts content.
To make a gluten free version, just omit the pastry.
- 500g shortcrust pastry – either use Jus-roll or make your own
- 3 1/4 cups (300g) chickpea (gram) flour
- 3 cups (700ml) boiling water
- Vegan stock
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast - you can buy this online and in health food stores
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Black pepper
- 150g cooked filling – pick what works for you: onions, red peppers, vegan cheese, leeks, spring onion, grated carrot, mushrooms, peas, asparagus, sweetcorn, small cubes of vegan sausages, etc.
- Herbs and spices of your choice e.g. parsley - 1/2 tsp of dried or 1 dssp of fresh (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Brush a 12 cup muffin tin with melted vegan margarine or oil to grease.
- Roll out your pastry and cut into circle.
- Place a circle into each cup and pat down lightly.
- Put the water in a pan with the stock and nutritional yeast, add salt, garlic powder, pepper and herbs and spices.
- Add the chickpea flour, turn down the heat and stir until it is thick and smooth.
- Add the cooked filling and taste – add more seasoning if required.
- Divide the filling up into your pastry cases.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes then open the door to let the steam out.
- Cook for another 15 minutes until golden brown and the filling has set.
- Let cool and brush with some melted vegan marg to give a glossy top.