You can find vegan gravy granules in the shops but homemade just taste so much better. This is the ideal accompaniment to your Christmas dinner nut roast. Serves 4.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 glasses vegan red wine
- 2 tsp vegan grain mustard
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp yeast extract (optional)
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 cups (16 floz / 450ml) water
- Saute the onion in the sunflower oil very slowly over a low heat for about 15 minutes until it is caramelised - browned, but not burnt.
- Pour in the wine and add the mustard, soy sauce and yeast extract.
- Place the cornflour in a jug and dissolve it in a little of the water. Then, stirring, add the remaining water to give a thin cloudy liquid. Pour this into the pan.
- Stirring constantly, bring to the boil. Turn down to a slow simmer and cook until evaporated to a nice thickness.