Sunflower seeds are wonderfully healthy, packed with iron, vitamin E and other essential nutrients. This spread is a great way to get more of them into your diet. Oh, and it tastes pretty good too...
- 7/8 cup (4 oz / 115g) sunflower seeds
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (4 oz / 115g) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs, or 1 tbsp dried garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the seeds into a heavy based pan and dry roast them until they begin to colour, stirring them occasionally.
- Grind to a coarse powder.
- Heat half the oil and fry the mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Stir together all the ingredients, making sure they are thoroughly blended.
Store the spread in a small plastic container in the fridge - the flavour will develop if you leave it a day.