...because what Sunday roast would be complete without it?
Check out our alternative recipe too, here.
- 3/4 cup (3 oz / 85g) white fat (e.g. vegetable shortening like Trex. Vegan margarine can be used as alternative)
- 1 cup (4 oz / 115g) self raising flour
- pinch of salt (fine)
- 1 1/4 cups (½ pint / 280ml) soya milk
- 3/8 cup (2 oz / 55g) whole egg replacer (try using aquafaba by following the advice in these comments)
- Preheat the oven to highest temp, 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7
- Put 1 tsp fat in each compartment on a bun tray with 12 compartments. Put the tray near the top of the oven with a baking tray underneath to catch drips.
- Mix the flour and salt with a hand whisk very thoroughly. Mix the egg replacer into a smooth paste with about 2 fluid ounces/60 ml of water. Mix this in with the milk in a jug.
- Once it is ready to go in the oven i.e when the oven and fat are very hot (this will take at least 10 mins) add half of the liquid to the dry mix. Mix it into a smooth batter (paste) then add the remaining liquid. It should be like cream, if it’s too thick add more liquid.
- Transfer the batter to a jug and fill each compartment to the top. It should sizzle as it goes in. Do this as quickly as possible before the heat gets out. Cook for 15-20 mins.